INFORMATION FOR AFFILIATES
Over the years we’ve learned that active members of affiliates want relevant, basic information like meeting times, affiliation costs, and types of involvement.
- The Sudbury and District Labour Council meets on the fourth Thursday of each month. No delegate meetings are held in July, August and December, although the Executive and other committees may meet more often and during these months.
- The meeting agenda is almost always the same. To view the agenda, click here.
- Our official meeting place is OPSEU’s Membership Centre located at 866 Newgate Ave. Labour Council is very grateful for the use of OPSEU’s meeting space. During these unprecedented times, we are meeting via Zoom and send out the meeting notice with links at least 10 days prior to the meetings.
- Non-union members (mostly community-based activists and leaders) may attend. These participants cannot hold official executive positions or vote on motions and at labour council elections.
- The cost to affiliate to Labour Council is $0.30 per member x 12 months. Affiliation fees are generally due in January but we are flexible and most Locals pay once per year, twice annually, or quarterly. We highly suggest you make a routine of paying Labour Council affiliation fees. Better yet, build the necessity to affiliate and participate directly into your Local constitution. Click here to read and print our dues remittance form.
- Almost all Locals affiliate to Labour Council. Greater participation is always welcome.
- Our biggest event of the year is held on Labour Day, followed by the Annual Health and Safety Awards Dinner and the Annual Day of Mourning. We also take part in many campaigns and initiatives.
- We are part of the Canadian Labour Congress, Ontario Division, and we also work very closely with the Ontario Federation of Labour. When the OFL and CLC meet for their respective AGMs, we usually find ways for at least the President to attend as a representative of Sudbury Labour.
- We support affiliate campaigns and projects and encourage active members to report about the great things their Locals are doing during our monthly meetings. When a Local is taking job action (work to rule, strikes, public pressure, etc.) we are there to help.
- We’re always looking for those interested in joining our various committees, i.e. Women’s, Youth, Political Action, Education and more. Please let us know if you’re interested in joining us in making a difference in our community.